Coburg is located on the Itz River in Bavaria, Germany. The city became part of Bavaria in 1920. Before 1918, it was one of the capital cities in the duchy of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and the duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld.

Coburg had several changes of aristocratic ownership; it came into the hands of the House of Wettin in 1353 from the House of Henneberg with the marriage of Friedrich III, the Strong, with Katherina von Henneberg and was initially regarded by them as a Saxon outpost within Franconia.

In 1596, it was raised to the status of capital of one of the dynasty’s splintered Saxon-Thuringian territories, the new Duchy of Saxe-Coburg under the leadership of Duke Johann Casimir (ruled 1596–1633). From 1699 to 1826, it was one of the two capitals of the duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, and from 1826-1918 it was a capital of the duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

In 1530 Martin Luther spent six months at the Veste Coburg, one of Germany’s largest castles, working on his translation of the Bible into German.

Today the Veste Coburg is home to three museums. One is the Ducal Palace (Fürstenbau), with many furnished rooms of the Dukes of Coburg. Another museum is the Armory (Rüstkammer), containing the largest collection of medieval armor and weaponry in Germany, with over 10,500 items. The third is the Art Collections (Kunstsammlungen), of engravings (Kupferstich-Kabinett), coins (Münzkabinett), documentation (Briefe & Urkunden), and glassware (Gläser-Sammlung).

The Ehrenburg Palace in the old town was rebuilt in 1543. After a fire in 1690 it was rebuilt Baroque style. England’s Queen Victoria and Franz Josef Emperor of Austria had their first meeting in 1860. In the 19th century Karl Friedrich remodeled Its Gothic Revival exterior. Now there is a museum and a famous library.

Doll Museum Puppenmuseum  displays a collection of dolls collected from the beginning of the 18th century until 1960. The museum displays 700 meters dollhouses, dolls of various types including porcelains collection of toys, buggies toys and game toy kitchens.